02-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #38
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post
I don't know what it is but I've just always loved these things. I've considered buying used several times and decided not to but honestly I don't even know where to start, what model is what, what to look for etc. my budget is relatively low. Is buying used a bad idea or a smart one?
If you just have a real craving for Tag watches, but by all means, get one. Tag doesn't make bad watches, so no matter what you get, it'll be a nice watch.

You certainly can save a tidy sum buying a pre-owned Tag watch. If you can find a reputable seller, have at it...Just be aware that there's always a certain amount of risk associated with buying a used watch. It's like anything else, where the risk potential is higher, the benefit potential is also higher. You'll have to decide for yourself what you are comfortable with doing. There are lots of discount sellers of Tag watches. Just Google search for "Tag watch discount" and plenty should come up. You might also check Antiquorum (http://www.antiquorum.com/catalog/au...014-02-22/lots) which is a highly reputable (they stand behind the authenticity of everything sold on their site) online watch auction site.

The thing that worries me most about buying pre-owned watches online is that it's super easy for a seller to have a legit watch that they display in pics and actually deliver a fake that only a pro can tell from the real thing. As I tend to spend what to me seems like a lot of money for a watch, I just won't risk it. If the sum you plan to spend feels like a lot of money to you, you probably shouldn't take too much risk that way either.

As for Tag watches, I shared my thoughts on them here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...37&postcount=6 . I apologize that it's a long post, but I think you'll find it very helpful one way or another in that it'll give you what you need to know about the good and the bad re: Tag.

In the final paragraph I mention that I don't know may folks who bust a nut over Tag watches. If, however, you are that guy who does need a cleanup towel because of a Tag, you absolutely should buy one. I would just suggest you look at other things too.

As for the various Tag models, their Carerra line is their best main line watch. You will likely come across several variants. All have good movements inside. Technically speaking, a couple of those movements are "in house," meaning Tag makes the movement themselves. I say technically because the two I know of are "in house" because Tag purchased the rights to them from the folks who initially made them: Seiko in the case of one and Zenith in the other. Think of it as though you bought BMW and instead of putting BMW in the Roundel, you developed a different image and put "Precision" there, but otherwise just kept on selling exactly what BMW made the year before.

Do those sorts of things matter to someone just buying a watch because they want one and this or that one looks good to them? No, not at all, and there's no reason they should. That kind of thing matters to folks who are trying to build a somewhat notable collection of watches. The difference is very much like the difference between a guy who buys art to decorate his wall and a guy who's curating a collection of art in the hope of having something of real, appreciating, long term value. At the moment, nothing Tag makes falls into the second category, so there's no point in worrying about it. Hell, most watches one can buy period, regardless of the price, don't fall into that category, even the most popular Rolexes and Patek Philippes don't hit that level.

Tag offer both mechanical and quartz watches. If you are just buying a Tag to have a Tag and a given look that Tag offers, I'd say that you may as well save some money and buy the quartz version if it's offered in the look you like. I say that because, as stated above, no Tag is going to appreciate in value and because no Tag has a particularly special mechanical movement that's entirely of their own ingenuity.

As for Tag's perception in the marketplace...well Tag and Omega are essentially the middle market Rolex. Although Omega steps into Rolex's market space with a few of its models, Tag really doesn't. Do Tags perform as well as Rolex and Omega watches, absolutely. But so do tons of other watches.

The dirty little secret about watches is that manufacturing processes have reached the point these days that it's almost impossible to buy a watch that doesn't perform well. So, if the case and bracelet/strap are even halfway decently designed and built, all that's left to distinguish one watch from another on an objective basis are minor aesthetic details, such as decorations of cases, dials and movements, or the differences in this and that type of steel or alloy of gold or some other such thing. After that, all that's left are subjective qualities like name recognition. But as I said, whether folks recognize the brand of a watch or not has nothing to do with the watch's actual quality construction wise or time keeping wise.

FWIW, in case it applies: (I don't need to know if it does or doesn't. Only you need to know that and deal with it.)
On the matter of name recognition...Be aware that when you buy a watch, your status transfers to the maker of the watch. The watchmaker's status does not transfer to you. If you are young, you may find that hard to believe, but trust me. I was young once too and I bought a Cartier hoping it would "do me some good." It did; I knew what time it was when folks treated me the same way they did before I bought the Cartier. You earn status through your good deeds and personal accomoplishments. You don't earn it by buying something.

It may make you seem like you have some money if you buy/wear something that's pricey, but if you really don't have money, folks will be disappointed when they found out they were mistaken. One they do find out they were mistaken, it will have done you no good to have been the one to mislead them. If you do have money, folks will figure that out sooner or later anyway. Better to be the guy who's got money and doesn't show it about than to be the guy who doesn't have any but looks like he does. Being the guy who has money and openly enjoys it is okay too so long as you are enjoying it by sharing it with others. Being the guy who has no money to speak of but is just a cool guy is also just fine. The reason the latter three are all fine is because all three guys are sincere.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0