02-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Quite often jewelry is chosen as a wedding party gift. There's little practical about it and it's durable. Jewelry was my choice and my wife's, along with that of my parents and grandparents. For a time, hair combs (ladies) and pocket watches (Men) were quite the style, but that was in my grandparents' day. My 'rents gave bracelets (ladies) and cufflinks (men). My wife and I gave necklaces and cuff links.

In the long run, it doesn't matter much what you give, but the general idea is that it be something that is durable enough to last for as long as the marriage is supposed to. To those ends, many brides and grooms opt to give something that, at their chosen budget, has more options that would be considered at the upper end of the object type. The sole reason for such a choice, however, is to be seen as giving something lavish. For example, if the fanciest soup ladle going runs around $200, and one gives as a gift a $180 soup ladle, one has given a very lavish gift. On the other hand, if one gives a $200 car, one has given a "cheesy" gift. (Of course, the cheap cars do have the added benefit that they make sure all of your closest friends and family actually have a means to depart the wedding day venue(s),giving you and your bride some genuinely private time. <winks and laughs>)

(...times have changed, but I think the intent at the time of the wedding is that it'll be "'til death."...then again, that whole "til death do they part" bit had more to do with political and economic stability and predictability than anything else, issuing for the era when marriages were tools of statecraft and economics.)

If you are strongly committed to giving your groomsmen watches, and given that there are so many really great watches out there $300 or so, I don't see why you shouldn't, then I'd suggest going to with dive watches or field watches rather than dress watches. The reason is that they watches are going to be useful and last for a long time.
  • Obris Morgan (http://www.obrismorgan.com/explorerpage.html) - Mechanical dive watches well made and smart looking. Most any fellow would be quite happy with one.
  • Sea-Gull - Very nice manufacture watches from China. Lots of styles to choose from. (Word to the wise: if you find folks who deride them on the basis of their being Chinese, ignore them and tell them to bring you the one they wore that didn't serve as expected.)
  • Berhnardt (https://www.bernhardtwatch.com/) -- Nice looking divers and general purpose style (i.e., things that more or less resemble a Rolex DateJust (either), Air King, Perpertual 36, Milgauss, or Explorer (not Explorer II)). Suggestions include the Binnacle Diver and Binnacle Anchor II.
There are plenty of other watches available in your price range, OP, but one thing to keep in mind is that since you are buying so many of them, you should be in a in a fine position to haggle a 20% to 30% discount off the price, even if you are buying direct from the makers and not from a retailer. So be sure to contact them directly on the phone or in person when you are ready to buy.

• Don't mention the word marriage. Just say as gifts...call it for a work related event or something. Saying "wedding" will make the price go up at least 100%.
Congratulations on your betrothal. I wish you and your bride all the best.
Tony - If you started a blog, I would read it. Fantastic stuff as always.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0