View Single Post
      07-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #314
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
You know it's funny -- an expensive watch can easily be seen as an investment because depending on the brand, it won't depreciate by much. In some cases with old watches it can actually appreciate, but these are pieces of jewelry that can be passed from generation to generation, so some people do find value in keeping them pristine.

Some people don't drive their M3's in winter because they don't want to get them dirty/abused by road salt/etc.....they will take out their "beater" car or truck instead......and I'm simply explaining that the same thing can be said for owners of nice watches.

I absolutely agree that watches in that price range are meant to be worn daily or in rotation based on the occassion. I beat on my Brietlings and the one Rolex I own has definitely gotten chewed up over the years; and I like it that way...I love my "battle scars". But not every person likes to wear their genuine pieces daily.

I really feel like the notion of personal preference is either over your head, or your just refuse to give in. You are stating that "there is no reason to keep it in storage while wearing a replica". Go head over the replica forum and say that and you will probably be faced with a good amount of opposition.

Different strokes for different folks....I respect that. You seem to have an agenda which is cool, but not very thoughtful. If you keep shying away from the other side of the coin you'll never learn to be accepting of things that may not go with your opinion.
You are right about certain watches that can appreciate (Pateks, vintage rolexes that had limited production, etc...) but that is definitely not the primary reason people purchase those watches, it is just an added benefit.

My point/my view with that is just if you own a real rolex there is no reason to purchase the replica version to wear because you are afraid. If you need a less expensive watch for certain occasions purchase a less expensive watch and leave the rolex for occasions when you feel comfortable wearing it.

If you do end up purchasing the replica Rolex to wear while the original stays at home, it is no better than not having the genuine piece to begin with and only wearing the replica.

Last edited by E90Alex; 07-09-2014 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0