07-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #320
DocMick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
What does wearing a fake $20k watch (or a real one for that matter) "make you look like?"

Note: I don't actually condone wearing fake watches. I'm not a watch guy so I don't really care. I'm just having fun playing devil's advocate.
it makes you look like the guy who stuffs a cucumber in his front pocket... lots of attention, much hehehe & hahaha, but when it comes down to it... the real substance is missing, and quite an embarrasing let down and a long winded explanation to follow

if a luxury watch's is simply to tell time, they are all obsolete due to the low cost of quartz and the ubiquitous presence of cellphones that tell time via GPS satellite, so no need to bother with costly movements and ceramic cases etc

if a purpose of fine wine/scotch/etc is to get you drunk, it's obsolete as alcohol is cheap and readily available to make you mellow, so no need to bother with the expensive stuff

if the purpose of a woman is to reproduce and make babies, well then there are plenty of fish in the sea.... why bother with looks, hair, education, attitude background, compatibility, etc, it's all superfluous

well thats stupid of course, because we want nice things in life, we want to enjoy life

while the purpose is to tell time, the real MEANING of expensive watch isn't chronometry... it's functional jewelry, it's a status symbol, and rarely even an investment... but really it's a statement that you enjoy the finer things in life. that's why a fake watch represents an attempt to bypass the hard work and discipline involved in accessing that strata where one has the means to enjoy said fine things.... when in reality they are only fooling themselves

some qualifications
1. to those that claim the own the real thing and only wear replicas to protect their investment, i say BS... if that's really the case, sell that "investment" and buy some diamonds or some ETF's
2. to those who, on a BMW forum, decide to get preachy about the ills of vanity well....
3. if saying something is fake is "mean" then maybe you have a problem with truth... theyre not replicas until instead of Rolex they have Replica written on the dial
Appreciate 0