View Single Post
      07-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #329
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
When you have the money to buy a nice watch, the last thing you're worried about is what others will think of you, now that you have a nice watch. Chances are, you are probably confident in your person because you've achieved a few things. In other words: other things probably changed you, such as a college degree, a nice job or something material such as a nice suit or some proper shoes. In other words: you already are who you are. A nice watch is a luxury item. You purchase one because you celebrate having achieved something in order to afford it. You'd be surprised how few people know about nice watches, and I'm speaking of the general public here. I get quite a few "nice watch mate" comments when I'm at the airport. When they ask what kind it is and I tell them Breitling, 90% of them have not heard of Breitling before.

When you don't have the money to buy a nice watch and need to resort to buying a replica or fake, you want to give people the impression you've achieved something you really haven't.
Exactly. Let's say I have >100s of acquiaintances and just a few friends.
Not even those few friends 'know' I have a new/other watch(I'm wearing 99/100 sleaves most of the time of the day also summertime...) and they know I sometimes wear a Seiko and sometimes something else(more expensive, they do not care)

When going out(poloshirts whatever), in general nobody notices it at all.
Only on (watch)forums...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0