View Single Post
      01-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #85
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Rolex has the unusual distinction of being THE high-end watch status symbol (for those who don't know watches), and also a huge name in aviation/police/military circles, so no doubt it has weird and non-linear predictors. These are iconic niches, so if Rolex folded, somebody else would take their place - The poseurs of the world NEED a flashy show-off bit of jewelry to tell the world they make more than they really do (and I'm always going to want a watch that JB could kill somebody with ). I'm guessing that if you were to get similar figures on other watches costing >$5-10,000, things would look a little more predictable. I could be wrong - I'll ask my hairdresser (and what the hell are 'dinner-ladies'?).
Very good point. I'd bet things would be different if you looked at Patek Philippe owner (as an example) demographics or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
Dude, you don’t need to be a multi-millionaire to buy a Rolex.

Also, some people just don’t care about watches, even wealthy people.

(a) you’re putting Rolex too high up on a pedestal, and (b) you obsess too much about what other people think and perceive about you. If you like a Rolex (or other high end watch) and can afford it, just go and buy it. . Life is too damn short.
Of course. No one here (myself included) is claiming that you need millions of dollars to afford a Rolex.
Appreciate 0