United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
I can?t wait for BMW sales number to plummet as these cars fall apart. The nostalgia of what bmw used to be is what is selling these marketing cars despite their pitfalls. Once the driving magic is total gone from memory (because it?s already gone from the cars themselves), they?ll learn their lesson as they become just another random automaker.

See Honda over the last ten years vs. current revitalization.
You may never see it happen. I agree with what you are saying, but they are no idiots, marketing and statistics shows otherwise - that sales are going well. Also, the part about cars falling apart is quite opposite: compare previous generation of x5 with current f15 which has a lot less issues. Many BMW old school enthusiasts don't like the general trend - but it is how it is. BMW is making profit and selling numbers like never before.
I also don't agree with magic been gone - look at recent M5 - it's one of the best cars created lately and specs are better than ever before. Look at x5m - it is a most appealing car in its class, hell even a "cheaper" 50i f15 x5 is a phenomenal car that can put to shame 95% of cars on the road. Look at i8 - it's design is IMHO beautiful and nothing from electric cars comes close to it. BMW has most of the bases covered. Yes, there are some weak spots in some class, but BMW never had best cars in ALL categories. I think if we look at reality with a objective view - I see lot of improvements. Not to mention huge amount of new tech BMW released to market within last 3 years
Age old debate every marketer goes through in trying to build a brand; how do we grow without alienating the hard core loyalists. Not an easy balance, I?m afraid. There will always be people who feels a brand is changing and it?s not for them anymore. But then again if the overall numbers are growing and there are more satisfied customers, that?s what will matter to BMW.

That said, I was very close to ditching BMW few months back after been loyal for more than 15 years. So, I do share some of the resentment.
Appreciate 2