06-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #75
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry8912 View Post
Hey guys,

I got last question, what’s the benefit of using plugs from X5M? Is it one step colder compare to the stock one? Also if I use a colder plug, during normal drive, will it be not hot enough to burn off combustion deposits? Any harm if I stick to the stock plugs?

Thanks
AFAIK X5M plugs are 1 step colder to begin with - they were chosen by BMW for a specific output - about 500whp. With Stage 1 you will be roughly at same output level. So it makes sense to use X5M plugs. As a rule of thumb you go 1 step colder for every 70-100whp.

However, stay with stock X5 plugs for now, I'm still on stock plugs too. When/if you'll start seeing some misfire issues (chances are you'll be fine) then you can swap them for X5M plugs. You don't have to change them right now. Just wait for next maintenance - whenever that is.

All we are doing is matching proper plug with proper output. Stock X5 plugs were not designed to be used constantly in 100whp increased engine. Temperatures will go up, plug tip will get hotter and eventually will start skipping spark causing misfire, it can also melt - but that's extreme we don't have to worry about. As for deposits - they'll burn just fine even on everyday driving. You are going to change plugs anyway every 30k miles or so if tuned. Also, I'm not an expert, so this is only my opinion man. Let's hear what other say.
Appreciate 0