07-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #23
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
I have seriously considered buying a couple watches at that $20k mark a few times, but everytime I actually think about it, I picture all the things I can buy with that $20k. And if I did have a $20k watch, I'm not sure how often I would wear it. I tend to wear my cheap $100-300 watches much more than my $3k-5k watches just for the fact that I will bang my wrist against something hard that will mess it up.

Maybe one day I'll splurge on a $20k watch, but I highly doubt it unless i win the lottery.
I understand the logic and agree for the most part. Although I wear an expensive watch everyday, and yes it has some scuffs, you can always send it in for a polish and repair.

If I buy it, I'm going to use it regardless of the cost.

As for a $20k watch? I'd base it on a % of earnings/month over time and cost it out. For example, if I wear it twice - I just paid $10k each time I wore it. If I wear it everyday for 3 years (roughly 1000 days) then its $200 each wear. You get the idea. Pretty standard finance/accounting stuff.

Based on this, unless my earnings made it reasonable - I would not likely buy a watch at such a high cost.

If you can justify it then go for it!