07-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #30
kawstik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Drives an 09 335xi... considering 20K watch... math doesn't add up right there...
Spoken like a pompous trust fund tool. We'll done.

I have an obsession with watches. Partcularly Audemars Piguet watches, which almost all run north of $20k. What I don't have is a desire to collect them, only enjoy them for awhile.

I bought my first AP RO about 12 years ago from a jeweler who was going out of business, for about half off of retail (paid $13k). After about 6 months, I got an itch for something different, but couldn't justify (at the time) shelling out the $19k asking. So I sold my first AP to fund my second. Being that I got it so cheap (respectively), I made $8.5k when I sold it.

A means to feed my AP obsession was born.

Over the years it has become an exhilarating hobby, and a quite profitable side business. At any given time I've got a handful of APs on hand. I made an absolute killing buying up a couple dozen during the market crash in 08/09, and hanging on to them for a couple years before selling them.

Sometimes I break even, or even lose a few bucks. But far more often I find a great deal on the watch I want at the time, enjoy it for awhile, then pass it on and put a few grand in my pocket.

My current hunt is for the unicorn - an AP ROO Lava. Only 99 were made so I may have to bite the bullet on this one.

Last edited by kawstik; 07-10-2016 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0