View Single Post
      11-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #140
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
There are other "select" situations and whatnot that will make it appear that "everyone" has an Omega, Rolex or whatever it is one might see a lot of. I can't tell you how often I've seen folks write or heard them say, "Rolexes are a dime a dozen. You see them everywhere, and everyone has one." Now I don't care where you live or where you go, certain facts make statements like that nothing buy hyperbole.

Rolex, for example, produces ~900K watches per year. As one goes back in time, that number grows smaller. So regardless of one's own circumstances and personal observations:
  1. Everyone does not own a Rolex.
  2. A Rolex watches not a dime a dozen.
  3. When you go somewhere, you may see a Rolex on someone's wrist, but Rolexes are not everywhere.
I used Rolex as my example, but the exact same things can be said of Omega and every other watch that sells for more than the average price of watches.

At some point, most folks suffer from a warped sense of perspective when it comes to the abundance of pricey stuff. The distortion caused by their special circumstances may lead them to incorrectly devalue things that are in fact far more valuable than they believe. For my part, I just try to keep my eye peeled for one of those folks who think Rolexes are a dime a dozen and will sell me theirs for a dime, in which case if they have a dozen, I'll buy all 12 of them.

All the best.
Great analysis, I agree it depends on the situation and that is the issue. Rolex is a great example and they have been making that many watches a year. So if you think about it, people who can afford to buy watches at this price point are a small subset of the population and naturally will be in the same working circle, schools, social settings. In that context you will most likely see Rolexes and other high end watch brands everywhere. They are not a dime a dozen but they are everywhere if you run in the same social circles. That is why even in these social circles, there is room for even more exclusive and expensive brands like Patek, AP, VC... And even within the top 3 you will see even more exclusive watche models. Try purchasing a Patek Nautilus 5711 with blue face brand new from a dealer, ridiculous wait list time. Personally I am a partial to Omega but am looking to get a Patek so in doing the research noticed this. No different than ladies handbags, LV vs Hermes.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0