afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Beauty is subjective. I find the i3 not offensive or even cute in an utilitarian kind of way. That's not what stopped me from taking the $150 per month lease from my dealer, it's the limited range. It simply doesn't work for my needs and lifestyle.
You can get one with a gasoline engine.
I have one of those, but would not recommend it to anyone who actually needs to rely to that extra scooter engine range on regular basis.

Even when coded to full 2.5G capacity (BMW restricts it to 1.9G for US market), it still only gets you ~55 extra miles at highway speeds (~80 miles on back roads - i3 consumption sky-rockets on the highway).

Then, you either run out of gas and there are gas stations conveniently spaced 45 minutes /55 miles apart ... or you stop even sooner and more frequently ... or you carry a 2.5G spare gas canister with you.

None of the above alternatives are either convenient or desirable. And REX is unpleasantly noisy when it kicks in.
As a one-off "emergency range extender", or insurance to max out full battery range, it works well. Beyond that, it's not very practical.

a
Appreciate 0