View Single Post
      11-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #38
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
What does overfilling have to do with using used oil? I don't understand how overfilling would somehow cover up the fact that they are using used oil. Overfilling would generate a warning and cause them more work, negating any savings they would see by using used oil.
I'm not sure exactly how Volvo systems work to be totally honest. However, my cousin looked up the manufacturer specs and forums much like we do here and it is 7 quartz for his vehicle. When we emptied it, it was 9 quartz and my buddy showed that it wasn't full synthetic by the color and consistency. I was also confused by the overfilling because our BMW systems would have errors in the instrument cluster/iDrive showing that. I'm not saying BMW uses these practices, but they exist. Also, based on the info 42pilot and another member posted, there is conflicting info between what is actually there and what the dealer says. I'm just making people aware to always tread with caution if you own your vehicle and start noticing random issues with your engine. Some guy named Eagle11 keeps going on and on in bimmerfest about how bad the 50i v8 is in other cars showing black smoke and what not. It could all be related. So far, none of us have had issues with our 50i, but information always helps, good or bad.

Actually no, I take that back. You can clear codes via ENET/OBD2 port software and clear oil change errors right from the cluster, so those errors can be hidden if a dealership is in fact using these practices. I really hope that we are getting the best service possible, but you never know. I'm sorry if this alarms people, but it's good to know what is going into your vehicle.

Last edited by opasha; 11-12-2014 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0