View Single Post
      07-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #15
j_internet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharecker View Post
Awww crap..... I've been hearing that sound on and off for the past 1-2m and I just fell off warranty back in April with only 33k miles right now. Its not there all the time but I can definitely hear it when the engine is warmed up and driving near/against a barrier under load. Like you it only occurs under acceleration with a regular beat, and does not make any sound while coasting or braking. If you get a chance can you ask the SA/tech what the reason is for that metallic sound??? It sounds like its detrimental if they are replacing the motor so I need to find out if BMW can help me at this point! Thanks!

I will find out. The tech is a good guy and cares that he does a good job. I am sure if he was not persistent it would of not got as far as it did (and I am grateful). From what he told me he first thought it might be something with the timing chain. I don't know if he will pull apart the old engine but I will ask him. It could be that the timing chain was stretched and slapping when under load. You would of thought the guides and vanos would of thrown a error with a sensor if there was that much slack. The guides and tensioner can only do so much. I do know one of the times they thought it might be dentation but, I have always used premium Shell or Mobil so they discounted that.

I will post if I know more..
Appreciate 0