View Single Post
      08-03-2023, 12:18 PM   #41
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Agreed - but I guess my point is to have some flexibility within the system to address problems without having a hardline view on what "should" happen based on a specific economic ideology. I'm all for accountability and people not getting free handouts... but it's hard to say "we'll just leave that up to capitalism to sort out over time" when you're talking about people's livelihood - in some cases generations.

In my view - if forgiving student loans (in addition to reforming higher education and instilling better awareness/knowledge) is what is best for people as a whole, I'm all for it. On the other end, if doing so will be detrimental, then I'm against it.
I feel like this lack of a hardline stance is exactly how we ended up here... no one said a university shouldn't be a profit center but instead should be a govt back education institution... so what we've ended up with is what I like to call Convenient Capitalism that is the right decision at the time.

This has ended up with massive costs being passed on, asset inflation and virtually minimal wage growth for most people. I predict that in 30 years if school costs, housing costs, education costs vs wages dont' come under control... expect an India type situation - you are either born into wealth or you aren't and are forever and indebted renter trying to make it for some laughable wages.