05-25-2020, 12:45 AM   #898
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinsky View Post
Ok, got the message, thank you - I'm not touching this box and I'm starting to look around for nbt evo hu.

Btw, it's not the problem of my operator, sound quality on the headset is excellent, same for other cars.
Yea and that comes with its own headaches.

I had the latest evo system and it was not working as much as it was working. The system kept thinking it was being stolen and would always turn off and show no signal in red letters and I'd have to take it all apart and send it out to be fixed and then sent back.

All the while I could not use my cell phone to use Bmw connected any more and lost features.

Not worth it.

I went with the JOYEE unit witch was the same as the bimmer retrofit one and it's been totally fine and has worked like OEM pretty much. The mic I just hid behind the trim when I put it all back together so it's not noticeable unless you remove the trim yet it still understands everything I say.

And the Siri setup is nice just use my steering wheel controls and scroll wheel like the OEM version. I had a loaner X5 with factory Car play and don't understand why some people have such a hard time with some of these boxes. They work as close to OEM as you can get without it being OEM.

Other than that it also supports mirroring of the iPhone and airplay so I couldn't be happier as the OEM unit doesn't do that. And when I don't want carplay I just turn it off or turn off auto connect.

If you want to retain all features of your X5 these boxes are your best bet if you want an expensive evo system where you drop thousands like I did you can do that to. I regretted that and am now happy with the current old idrive and with the joyee box I get to keep all my options and not have any issues. Sold my evo system and am staying with the standard setup. Carplay makes upgrading to the evo system outdated anyway as it will always be current and updated.

Best advise I can give is take your time and get the right box because some are terrible and don't work as advertised. Some are great and well thought out. But I advise against doing the evo upgrade as nice and flashy as it is it wares off after a while and you just start wishing it would work like it should.

Don't even get me started how the dealer screwed it up once when they updated my car. They could not reprogram the x5 without the original idrive setup. my lower footwell module needed updating and with the evo system in their it can Brick the system if your in for service and they want to update the x5 your SOL until your put the old one back in. PITA!
Appreciate 1
devlinsky369.00