Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 X5 (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInSJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerson View Post
No I didn't fill it till it spilled, seal the screw, shift through all the gears and fill again. I filled it once until it spilled
This is the process to ensure proper fill. Also, one thing that helped me is to be diligent about the angle of the car/pan - ensure it's at level-ride angles (essentially level at the tranny/pan connection).

1) Start engine
2) Put foot on brake (and keep it there)
3) Shift transmission into "R" and "D" continuously
4) Shift transmission in manual mode from 1st to 3rd and hold gear for 3 seconds
5) Shift transmission in manual mode from 1st to 4th and hold gear for 10 seconds
6) Select all gears in manual mode from 1st to 8th and hold each gear for 10 seconds (flip selector in + direction until just before the gear you want to hold, then hold shifter in + direction for 10 seconds so it holds that gear)
7) Keep engine speed at 2000 RPM's for ~30 seconds to ensure torque converter fills with fluid
8) Check temperature and verify that fluid temp is between 30°C and 40°C. (need ISTA+). If you don't have ISTA+ and start with everything completely cold, I can tell you that you'll be up to 30-40C within just 2-3 miles of easy driving, and 5-6 miles will get you to 50C+ and you'll have to wait 1+ hours for it to cool to <40.
Is number 8 to see if I need more fluid? Or to put it again the fluid after the first fill up?
Appreciate 0