MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanab View Post
HI

I know that the stated towing limit on this vehicle is 6000lbs with a 600lbs tongue weight, however, i have read that if one is towing a trailer that is not equipped with brakes then the towing capacity is limited to 1653lbs (750kg). Unfortunately i can not find anything solid from the factory to confirm or deny this.
Essentially my boats is ~3000 lbs with trailer and I'm hoping that it can be towed with the vehicle, however, would prefer not to wind up with a boat in the back seat.

Does anyone have any info on this subject?

thanks in advance
I don't have the 35i but the 35d... Whenever I did my research I remember that there was not a firm number but rather a recommendation for towing over 2000lbs to have a break system on the trailer. Now this was for the diesel but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a higher number for the gas version...
The pulling and the tow system was not the problem just that the break system on our cars are not made for that.

I bought a plug and play remote controlled break controller... and was happy that I did. I assume your trailer has breaks? If your interested I can find out what the brand is... don't remember as I hardly ever use it anymore these days...

You might also want to do a search in the forum there are tons of towing threads...
Appreciate 0