View Single Post
      09-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #7
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanab View Post
thanks, and i appreciate the immediate assumption that im a cheap ass and the stating of the obvious.

Do you have any answers to my questions?
I gave you my opinion. I have towed an open aluminum car trailer with two X5s with loads ranging from 1,000 lbs up to about 4,500 lbs. Based on my experience I would not advise towing 3,000 lbs without trailer brakes. I would venture to guess that most people with experience towing would say the same thing. Sorry I don't have data or an authoritative source to sight at my fingertips, but I thought you would appreciate hearing an opinion.

Feel free to ignore the advice and see what happens. I think you will find that your brakes on the X5 will be inadequate. At best your X5 brakes will wear quickly. More worrying to me would be scary trailer sway or an accident if you need to stop quickly or you are in windy conditions or driving downhill. The trailer brakes are there to help pull the trailer taught when it starts to sway. Using only the brakes on the tow vehicle does not have the same effect.

With respect to my comment about the cost of a brake controller, I threw that in because I thought it might be a factor for you. I could not think of any other reason not to have trailer brakes.

Just trying to help here. You might consider showing a bit more appreciation.
Appreciate 0