View Single Post
      11-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #519
r_ryan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15 s25d

Hi Guys - Engine idling issue

I have a 2014 s25d and the car currently has this problem where the RPM bounces erratically when idling in Drive (sometimes in Neutral, but never in Park) – see video attached

Funnily, it only occurs during the summer months or temperatures of >20 degrees (e.g. around now in Sydney) and goes away during winter. I also noticed that:
> it can get quite erratic / rough to the point where you have to press on the brake pedal quite firmly (otherwise it will jerk forward); and
> the engine fan will remain on after the engine is turned off for the next few minutes if this RPM issue surfaces (that is, this RPM idling issue doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally when the temperature is above 20 degrees ish).

The problem initially surfaced in the summer months of last year and we have brought it to the dealer but we could not reproduce the problem (hence the video now) – thus nothing has been done apart from some 'reflash' of some software?. But that ofcourse did not fix the problem.

Before I head to the dealer again shortly (warranty expiring soon!), I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue so I can point them in the right direction as to which part is failing (or any BMW mechanics here?).

As a point of reference, the car is regularly serviced, only has 28,000kms on the clock and around three years old. If it helps, there is nothing wrong with the driveability of the car when that issue surfaces – engine does not lose any power and still pulls strong, and fuel economy is the same (not worse).

Thanks for all your help!
Appreciate 0