Garage List
2006 M5  [0.00]
2000 M Roadster  [0.00]
2003 X5 4.6is  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
2012 X5 3.5i Premium  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeboy View Post
Must be a good day for this project since, same as Kzang, I took on it this afternoon. Big thanks to r33_RGSport for supplying these in June (great customer service btw, Ben kept me updated about delivery time since these were not in stock when I placed my order) and for the excellent DYI guide. Without it, I would not even consider this mod. It looks great. I considered trim swap to CF, but the cost of it is still way too high. This retrofit would have to be done along with it anyway. For now this will be more than enough. It is great upgrade to the interior.

Few notes to you DYI guide: The whole plate with USB/AUX/cigarette lighter plug slides through, so I did not have to unplug these to lift the storage up. What I did not realize is that 2018 has wireless charging on the side of the compartment, so the plug connected to it needs to be undone too to put the compartment fully away. I did not attempt it and was moving the storage compartment from side to side to be out of my way.

I am not sure what is the trick with the trim clips. How you can remove the panels without the clips dropping in. I should google it, I guess. There are 4 clips on the trim around the shifter and iDrive knob, and additional 3 on the top rear cover trim. 5 of 7 clips where undone and four dropped into the holes. I was able to retrieve 3 of them with the magnetic pen, but one on the top rear cover was lost above the rear AC panel. Keeping fingers crossed it will not rattle. Local dealer wants $5 (Canadian ) for each of these.

I had a fellow member (Ramsal ) to help me with the install and for the passenger side it was definitely plus to have extra set of hands and eyes available. We adjusted the mounting bracket as per the pictures posted by ikheetleon, and it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot for that post.

Overall great modification, too bad the parts are getting very expensive as per Ben’s posts. As others mentioned, M Sport X5 should come like this. I would pay for this as an option, if available in the order guide for X5.
Is that black dakota leather with contrast stitching? If so I've been searching everywhere for this same setup but it seems it's no longer available.
Appreciate 0