View Single Post
      01-05-2024, 10:45 AM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Automatic headlights

A couple of years ago my brother was involved on a bad car wreck. Some idiot was doing 80mph in a 50mph zone after sunset with no lights on. My brother never saw him coming and pulled out from an intersection and got T-boned. The other driver was also possibly distracted because he never hit the brakes. The passenger in the vehicle my brother as driving was killed and my brother was badly injured and still hasn't recovered fully. The other driver got sentenced to a year in jail for vehicular homicide.

Fast forward to last night. For the 5th or 6th time this month alone, I saw some idiot driving along well after sunset with no lights on. This used to be a rare thing, but has become commonplace. I think people are too caught up in their phones or whatever, but they seem to not take driving seriously.

Although I'm not usually a big proponent of Nanny State laws, this is different. If you don't wear a helmet on a motorcycle or a seatbelt in your car, then you're usually only endangering yourself. But if you drive after sunset with no lights on (or in any poor visibility situation), then you are endangering other innocent people. And that's unacceptable. Automatic headlights are a simple and cheap thing to include in cars as a standard feature. It should be mandatory. /rant

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 10
Llarry16417.00
Esteban44236.00
2000cs3511.50
Buug95917725.50
vreihen1615467.50
wrickem2101.00