05-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #27
jfandl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 5.0 (F15) - BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufington View Post
I wanted to find out the install cost before I bought any downpipes and I just got a quote around $1600 just for the install! Is this normal?
That sounds like a lot for the install. I received them via UPS at 4:45 PM. I decided to install them starting at 5:30 PM and had the car back together by 10:30 PM. Working in my driveway with nothing but jack stands and a jack. If I would have had a helper, I could have shaved 45-60 minutes off the install time to remove the CATs. That said, total time for install around 4-5 hours tells me that 1,600 is way too high!

If you decide to do it yourself (without a helper), connect a bunji cord from the hood latch to the top of the CAT pipe to keep light tension on it, then push and turn it from the bottom of the car to get it out through the top. The bunji cord really made a big difference. If you have a helper, they can help to gently pull it up while you turn it and push it from the bottom.

One other gotcha, you are removing a ground strap from the block. Once you do this, you will get a variety of electrical errors and low voltage warning. Your parking break will error and click on and off. Once you connect this ground wire, it goes back to normal.
Appreciate 1
hufington3120.50