View Single Post
      08-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #105
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

posted this in another thread and it was suggested that I add it here as well:

I started off looking for alternatives to the X5, hoping for something new and exciting. I looked at the XC90, along with Q7 and the new RR Disco. I didn't want to end up with an identical vehicle in my garage after spending $$$. (Need a 7 seater)

Here are my impressions:

Q7 - added to the mix because of high praise and positive reviews. In my opinion the ride was nice and smooth, power delivery decent although did not feel as exciting as my 35i (not to even mention the 50i which I also tested). Felt a little like driving a minivan. I also could not get over the exterior looks which i'm sure I could get used it, but that's not how I like to buy my cars. I was also not as impressed with the interior tech/design as many of the car reviewers. Didn't like the vent like slits across the entire dashboard and the built in touchpad felt like it came from 20 year old laptop. The virtual cockpit was nice but overall the GUI didn't feel as refined as the BMW one.

RR Disco - overall probably my favourite in terms of look and feel. Not as exciting to drive as the X5 but everything else made up for it. If not for the dismal reliability rating I probably would've ended up with the Disco. After spending a few hours in RR Disco forums to get a better sense of what the ownership experience could/would look like I unfortunately had to cross if off the list.

XC90 - liked the look (maybe because it looks so similar to the X5). The interior was more elegant and upscale than the X5. The tech was nice but the look and feel not as polished as the BMW. Took the T6 for a drive and as someone above has already mentioned, he power delivery was decent and felt comparable to my 35i but the engine sounded like it was working harder than I expected it to. Wanted to take the T8 for a spin but the manager had taken it home for the day despite me giving the dealer a heads up that I would be coming in at some point during the week for a test drive.

X5 - without a clear winner in the above comparison I popped by my BMW dealer to see if I could take a 2017 50i and 35d for a spin. Although not necessarily winning in any particular area, the X5 is an overall better, more complete package. I LOVED the 50i power, but I compromised on the 35d which feels more powerful than my 35i. To further differentiate it from my then current 2014 space grey 35i I went for a Saphire Black with black rims and black interior. Along with a few tech upgrades (digital gauges, touch screen, soft close doors, etc) the new colour and diesel engine make it like a different vehicle.

Last edited by ramsal; 09-21-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
hyde488.00