Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
First, .... DOT FMVSS 108 ...

The second is all about cost. ...
Just my opinion. Until our laws get updated, things like this are just going to happen. And even if the laws are updated, importers may still choose to keep things "red" so their balance sheets remain black.
@wdimagineer, I just want to say thank you once again for shedding so much light on this and so many other subjects here. I would be a "follower" if the site's app would have the feature.

To a person not as familiar as yourself it seems cost is the primary factor as there is ample surface area to accomplish this. Just check out a new Ford Taurus which has a smaller total surface area for tail lights.

The DRL area is large enough and could serve a dual purpose (get brighter with braking) as they do in so many other cars. I completely agree that the rest-of-the-world (RoW) brake lights on the X5 seem insufficient and not as well distinguished beneath the DRLs.

As for me, I have capitulated on obtaining amber lights. Still, I am hopeful enough people raise this issue so that when we spend $80k on a car, we are not spared what is known to be a better, safer way to display indicators. Sure, LEDs are changing the way these lights are designed and they are more efficient, and light up nearly instantly, but if we have to give up features of incandescent and halogen that make the car safer, then I am not sold on the trade-off.