View Single Post
      03-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #12
TourStageFan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '12 535iX M-Sport, CaymanS, %E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Many manufacturers produce special taillights for the US market that have red turn signals. There is no DOT requirement that turn signals have to be red. In fact, the DOT has published studies that suggest amber turn signals are safer. See PDF attachments below.

It is unclear why manufacturers would go through the trouble of producing two sets of taillights. But, we know cost is always a factor (is red cheaper?). Local-market taste and preferences are also a factor.

Several BMW models, until recently, came with red rear turn signals, but one could buy aftermarket or EU spec taillights and plug and play with ease, or with minor coding. Or for incandescent or halogen, one could simply change the bulb color (even pure yellow/"selective yellow" would come through some red lenses somewhat amber). Until the mid 2000s BMW and other non-US makers consistently produced cars with amber rear turn signals.

The new X5 F15 is wired differently. You cannot plug and play. The coding is a nightmare according to one user who is a very proficient coder (rewired, fried a controller, spent hours getting the errors resolved).

So, my question to everyone is:
Do you like red turn signals and is BMW targeting you, or do you prefer amber and BMW (and Audi, Merc, VW) is ignoring you? Please vote above.
I can't respond to every enquiry, but hope to generate a good discussion around this subject. I hate the red turn signals and need to understand why I have to live with them.

Thank you.

Attachment 1099888 <- DOT Study
Attachment 1099889 <- DOT Study summary

p.s. the vote is for your taste, as our individual opinions regarding safety are no match for studies, whatever they may conclude.
Captain,

I could not agree with you more regarding the safety of using amber turn signals instead of red ones. Using amber for turn signals clearly distinguishes them from the red brake lights and parking lights, thereby causing less confusion for drivers behind you.

Most German car manufacturers dedicated amber for turn signals until recently. Up until this model year, I think the 7-series still had amber turn signals. I believe AUDI was responsible for bringing all-red taillight treatments to the U.S.

I am actually looking for a set of Euro/Canadian-spec taillights that use amber turn signals. Does anyone know if such things even exist anymore?
Appreciate 1