Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
how come? urs confused me. they seemed to match in some shots, and seemed to mismatch in others. that's why we go to longtran
Here's why. Longtran can't do anything to fix this.

I just picked up my repainted reflectors from the body shop. It wasn't an issue with the color not matching the rest of the body, it's actually the shape of the reflector itself. The reflector doesn't follow the shape of the rest of the bumper, meaning the entire bumper follows an exact curvature all the way around. The reflector deviates from that curvature and reflects a different angle and thus a different image and lighting. If you're in an environment where there are many differently shaded and/or physically opposite objects, then you'll see the difference. But if you're in a position where the bumper and reflector reflect the same object, such as a blue sky, then you won't see a difference. This wasn't the case with the E46 M3 reflector, as it had the same curvature as the bumper itself. I'm attaching a few pictures to show what I mean.

Bumper/reflector reflecting different elements of the environment:

Bumper/reflector reflecting the same elements. This is where the bumper/reflector appear to match:

Appreciate 0