06-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #23
Apan
AlexP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M - Donington Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
Production was completed and the X5 M was released to the carrier (truck or train?) yesterday. Now the painful wait for the trip to California - VPC - Dealer - PPF wrap and finally delivery. Fingers crossed for June still.

Now a question - and I have read most of the threads but want to see any new or different opinions. I went with the 21" wheels as the 20" wheel has only one tire option - Pirelli. I understand lower profile = crisper steering and harsher ride. So, what are the current thoughts on 20" vs 21" and current tire choices for the 21" that will be a bit more comfortable? California roads are probably not as bad as NY / NJ / winter states, but they are not as good as they use to be. No track time for me nor any .975 g runs. OTOH, it is an M and I don't want to compromise the crisp handling with sloppy tires.

With my 21" choice, should I visit my dentist and have all fillings re-cemented ?
I literally have the same exact setup as your X5M (Donington, Aragon, carbon fiber), except that I opted for the 20"s since I live in NYC. While I have more tire to battle the potholes and weather, I personally think the car looks hands down hotter with 21"s. I actually plan to buy a set of HRE 21"s after I wear down my summer 20 tires and will just use the 20"s for my winter tires. Living in CA, you definitely made the better choice on starting with 21"s.

I did a lot of cosmetic mods (eg, replaced all chrome with carbon fiber pieces) to the car including a wrap on the whole front end and roof — worth every penny for the peace of mind as one guy said. I also did a bunch of mechanical mods to the car (e.g., stage 3 DME tune, high flow cat down-pipe, Dinan intake, Eisenmann sport exhaust, KW V3 coilovers), so feel free to PM me with any questions. Welcome to the club; it's addictive!!!

-Alex
Appreciate 0