View Single Post
      09-21-2015, 11:10 PM   #17
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I am trying to figure out why some go 100k miles and other 10k before getting this clogged. My guess as to what the factors may be:

• Fuel quality
• Driving pattern (short trips, long trips)
• Driving style
• Use of aftermarket piggy back chips

What else would cause this component to clog early?

BTW, lots of YouTubes on DYI cleaning of this component (on different BMW engines, but same concept).
You nailed it. The EGR to keep emissions in check gets clogged due to soot from the exhaust then sudden cooling from the engine coolant system - the fuel is not being burned completely just like gasoline cars running rich and leaving carbon in the exhaust. I removed the EGR from my pickup but that's not an option here. The only options are, high quality fuel, correct air fuel mixture, reduce time idling and turn down the fueling on the chip.

The EGR is not programmed to work full time however, and normally kicks in when the engine is at operating temperature. This is to reduce fouling. I haven't found an additive that improves the condition yet and you'll notice none of the additives mention EGR benefits.

Once you get the CEL stating EGR failure, it has to be replaced since nothing can un-clog it. People who will have better luck are those who drive longer distances so exhaust temps will stay high and soot will burn more completely. City driving, stop and go, will accelerate the problem. Gas engines see something similar with carbon fouling in the combustion chamber and exhaust valves, so no engine is immune to modern emissions controls.