View Single Post
      08-31-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter10512 View Post
After having owned a 2011 X5 35d with dynamic handling and sports package for over a 100k miles and loving every minute of it, I didn't hesitate buying a leftover 2015 X5 with all the handling goodies from a West Coast dealer sight unseen.

To my great amazement, the handling with the electric steering was so numb and confusing, I ended up constantly correcting through turns. On turn-in it always felt like the car didn't want to turn, which always ended up in over-correction. The rear end felt like it was swapping around the back like a full bathtub.

Multiple trips to my very competent local BMW dealer who made some camber/toe adjustments brought some relief, but never to a point of me enjoying the car. People complained the car was making them seasick and reaching out to BMW and their "geniuses" brought nothing but further frustration from their inactivity.

I really wanted to like it, even tried different tires, but in the end I got rid of it by trading it for a used, low mileage 2013 X5M (last year of hydraulic steering). Now that's proper handling! I absolutely love that car, the incredible feedback and handling prowess along with the stupendous power is something that puts a grin on my face every time. Of course, it also uses twice the gas the diesel did, but it's an amazing vehicle.

The whole experience did leave a very sour taste and wonderment about BMW in my mouth, that they would release a vehicle so poorly handling, after what the 2011 was and of course the X5M.
Reading some of the reviews of the 2014+ new X5's confirmed that others feel the same way.
So yes, others are disappointed in the electric steering of the newer X5's too and I already worry about what I will drive when this one has too many miles.

Lesson to be learned, ALWAYS drive what you will buy first in the configuration you intend to buy! I would have never bought this new X5 had I driven it.
I came from en E70 with DHP also. Just drive your F15 for 3 months or so, and you'll get used to it. I was in the same boat as you, as are many others.
Appreciate 0