01-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #37
DKNewYork
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' M5, 17' X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyX5M View Post
Here is the response from AFE support today regarding my CEL

Hi Roman.....this is what we have found for this issue...

This shouldn't be a problem. the ECU, vehicle's computer, is getting an input from the engine sensors that there is more air going by it that it is programmed for. The ECU sees this and thinks that there is a problem with the vehicle, so it turns on the Check Engine Light. When that comes on, we are expected to take the vehicle to the dealer to get the problem repaired. So, there should not be any drivability issues with your vehicle. What needs to happen is for the ECU to "Learn" about the intake kit. Once the ECU realizes that nothing bad is happening to the engine, because it is constantly monitoring all the sensors, it will turn the CEL off on its own. What I would like for you to is drive the vehicle for approx. 2 weeks and let’s see if the ECU has been educated on the intake kit. Nothing will happen to your vehicle because all you are introducing is more air into the engine. It should turn off the CEL after "X" amount of key starts and "X" number of miles driven. So do not reset the CEL, if you do, it will start the learning process all over again.
Hmmm. I'm not sure about that response. I bought a RK Autowerks Intake. No issues with it at all. No CEL and didn't have to drive it for 2 weeks for the ECU to learn. I've driven over 700 miles already.

Off topic. I've also driven it 2 1/2 hrs in the rain and no issues. Since then I've put on a filter sock just for extra precaution.