Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
You can have your always on car. No thanks for me. When I turn off my car, I want it off. Granted that's really not the case with modern cars as the various computer modules are still running in a standby mode when the engine is off. But none of my vehicles are actively connected to anything accepting or transfering data. And that's the way I want it to be.

Many may view me as a caveman with this view. But I'm far from it. As you've shared that you're in IT, so am I. I've designed and deployed data centers. Heck I have a mini data center in my basement with various firewalls, network switches one of which is a 100Gbps switch, SAN arrays, servers, wireless controllers, etc etc. I just take a more pragmatic view of all this IoT and being connected trend. I don't want my car to be hacked. I don't want my car to be controlled by some arbitrary government mandate that will turn off my car if I'm viewed to have exceeded my "allowed" carbon or kW limits.

It's truly amazing people are so blinded by the propaganda of just giving up their privacy and freedoms to have frivolous conveniences. I remember a thread on the off topic where the praises were being sang about a Ring drone and not thinking clearly what this really means to your privacy and security.
The promise of "convenience" will be the downfall of many of the freedoms we enjoy today. Personal transportation just being one of them.
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5149.50
Donatello.1099.50
Efthreeoh17396.00