View Single Post
      01-18-2024, 01:34 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Question for the home techie folks

I've been hesitant to write this, but it's been weighing on me for a while now. My wife and I have started some estate planning and a recent health scare (that turned out to be minor) have combined to get me thinking about how she would cope with technology in my absence. I'm into home automation and I have an extensive camera network, plus a NAS and NVR. My network is a mix of Ethernet and MoCA. It all runs fairly well and rarely needs intervention, but power failures take a bit of work to recover from and every now and then something acts up.

Don't get me wrong, my wife isn't helpless. She's a college professor and quite intelligent. But she's not a techie. She prefers simplicity rather than gee-whiz automation.

So I'm curious if other folks have thought about how their SO would deal with systems that are more than just a modem, router, and wifi if they suddenly found themselves alone. Do you have a plan in place to simplify things? Or someone who could step in and fix problems? Have you ever given it a second thought? I'm about to build a network rack and relocate as much of my equipment as possible to one room, and planning for that has really highlighted just how intricate my setup is. Part of me wonders if this wouldn't be a good time to go all Henry David Thoreau and simplify. OTOH, I could be around for another 25-30 years, so why worry about it.

Thoughts?

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615481.00