01-20-2021, 07:08 AM   #74
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
we don't & won't have the data!
Sure we will. I’m talking about the numbers BMW publishes, not the ones folks are advocating for because they don’t agree with BMW’s product partitioning.

Quote:
Why would BMW want to hide 'M high performance' sales numbers?

The sensible answer is because BMW is afraid your guess will turn out to be wrong.
We’ll agree to disagree on how sensibility figures into thie discussion. I’m seeing a lot of emotion and pedanticism poured into what, on my personal scale, in the larger picture are mostly inconsequential minutae.

Why is BMW sharing some data and choosing to keep some private? You know the answer to that. It is the same reason every other corporate entity does so - they’ve determined it will help them realize a competitive advantage. We don’t know how many diesels BMW sold last year either, do we? No (but we can be pretty sure that number tanked). And, by the way, how many *63 AMG vehicles did Mercedes sell? We also have no idea how many four cylinder models BMW sold. Why not? Shouldn’t we be able to track that so we can hold their feet to the fire for selling out and slowly killing their iconic I6? We could continue down this path - this path of proverbially beating on the doors to corporate HQ and demanding arbitrary answers - right? But you’re smart enough to recognize that there’s little point in doing so.

That said, if you really want more numbers, sales and registration data for every make/model sold in America can be purchased. I’m sure it’s not cheap, but it could allow those who simply must know to sleep easier. I’ll just go with what we have and try not to overthink it. If it’s good enough for the regulators whose job it is to keep the 900 pound gorillas honest, that’ll do for me too.
Appreciate 3
heavyD^23688.50