01-20-2021, 05:47 PM   #77
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
It's not manipulation of the numbers. The numbers represent M vehicles sold. Most of us realize that there's more M vehicles for sale today therefore this news shouldn't come as a surprise. The reality is no matter what they say people would nitpick as it's the internet after all and nobody's ever happy about anything.

BMW isn't Ferrari. They are a volume automaker and regardless of what you think of say an M235i or M340i those vehicles carry a premium over the regular variants and that premium means more money for BMW when more people buy these cars. At a time where Porsche sells more SUV's than cars surely most of you can understand that even if you don't like it, this is sound decision making as catering solely to purists and enthusiasts is not a way to make profits.
Not clear how those who acknowledge there's premium value to the M brand can then bemoan those who have issue with dilution of that premium value?

As to the first point, when it was a non-M 340i with M Package one year, and then M340i the next year forward and lumped in as an M car, when both are essentially the same car, then it is manipulating numbers, IMO, specifically to increase M sales.

I suppose they're doing this because they want a bigger sales number for M cars to be able to be in the same ballpark as AMG that has also lumped in "untrue" AMG cars (like C43) to its numbers. I mean it wouldn't look good for BMW M GmbH Marketing to hear that they are being vastly outsold by AMG, and so the manipulating and lumping had to be done.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1366.00