07-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #48
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM135iAM View Post
Tag has a lot of history unlike Citizen. Not that Citizen doesn't have it's share of history and innovation (Eco Drive). Tag has had many innovations in the watch making world. Specifically in the automotive racing industry. Which if I am correct this is an automotive forum. I would think one would like anything that has to do with automotive history, like TAG Heuer. To often people forget that a watch used to be a necessity for individuals in certain industries. Hamilton is a good example of a company with history. Hamilton was a leader in an industry that time keeping was crucial. They played a huge role in the railroad system, and for you history nuts the railroad system was a huge factor in our time zones. When I'm looking into a watch company I look at the history that they have made and the innovations that have brought into the watch making.
Yes, history is important to some people and definitely does make a product more interesting... (would we be here now if it weren't for the 2002tii or 3.0CSL?)

Unfortunately I think that Heuer has a definite history with motorsports and timed sports in general but I'd rather have a vintage Heuer than a new TAG. Just MHO.

Other brands with real history - for dive watches, definitely Rolex (even though they get shit today, their innovations back in the day are undeniable) and Blancpain (oh, would I love a vintage Fifty Fathoms...) and at least in my mind Vostok as well... don't believe me, look up the case design for the Amphibia, it's phenomenally simple yet effective, and better yet easily accessible to the average guy, if you want to add one to your collection. The dial art is, um, not for everyone and the lume and bezel both suck but it is a great example of an elegant and simple case design that in all honesty is better than either Rolex or Blancpain.

For dress watches, Patek is where it's at for me... just my opinion.

Military watches - you could make a case for any number of mfgrs. but I'd love to find a broad arrow JLC! Of course for more modern stuff you have to consider Marathon, although they're not particularly innovative they are good solid watches with a unique style.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many but those are the ones that pop into my head after a little bit of thinking.

I've become partial to dive watches for daily wear... I'm not a particularly dressy kind of guy and while I like vintage stuff there's nothing like coming in from the rain and watching the inside of the crystal of your vintage Longines fog up (not that that's ever happened to me, no, never...)

Edit: good lord I'm talking about history and forgot the Omega Speedmaster! I deserve a slap upside the head for that one.

Last edited by N8N; 07-16-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0