11-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #159
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
not as many people wear true dress watches as opposed to sport, and not in that price range?
I hear you. And that makes sense to me as well. Yet, then I look at the retarded number of votes for Patek Philippe. I say that because at the apex of the watch world are Patek, Vacheron, JLC, Breguet and A. Lange and Sohne.

Sure, other brands may from time to time time have products that wander into that rarefied air up there, but as brands that quintet stand alone and above the rest, including Rolex and Omega. Yes, one could arguably lump Audemars in with them and even a handful of boutique brands, along with the offerings of several individual watchmakers who are still alive.

I wish I had put JLC on the list, if only to see where they came out. But at the time, I already knew I was buying a JLC, so it didn't matter to me what folks might have thought about the brand. I can only wonder how many folks would sooner buy a Rolex XYZ over the competing JLC watch, even knowing that the JLC is more highly regarded and better finished and usually a bit less expensive.

Don't that that as a put down of Rolex. I'm not a Rolex hater; I just understand what it is and what it is not. There's no question that in at one situation -- Rolex Submariner -- basic upscale dive watch (not professional grade as is the Sea-Dweller) -- it's hard to find a comparable watch, yet JLC does offer one, as does Vacheron Constantin. Patek's and Audemars' comparably purposed items are priced well above the Submariner, so they aren't really considerations for many who might otherwise cross shop the brands.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0