12-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #61
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I can think of all kinds of scenarios (like mine) where Summer + UHPAS tires is the best prescription. Are people so unimaginative that they can envision such a situation? smh

Let's remove snow and ice and only talk temperatures...

Let's say someone lives is a part of the world where during the winter months, 25% of time it gets too cold for Summer tires; and 25% of the time it gets too warm for winter tires... and their car will never see snow. You'd still suggest this person put winter tires on? Not me.

Or my father... He drives his 50th anniversary Mustang GT from NJ to Florida every January, then drives back to NJ at the end of February. It might be a little too sketchy to make this trip with his summer rubber; and it's too warm down in Florida to run winter tires.... So he puts UHPAS on in the winter.

I see UHPAS tires as akin to intermediate racing tires... they bridge the gap between summer and winter tires.

Great summer tires like PSS are way better than any AS tire until 50 degrees. Under 50 degrees a good winter tire is waaaay better than any AS tire in the dry. There really is no reason why somebody who lives where you do would use all season tires for the winter months...

Just because you follow some broken logic about this all doesn't change the facts about how these tires perform in different temperatures!