View Single Post
      07-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #49
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

I picked Omega, Rolex, Seiko, and Breitling, but I'm not much of a watch guy myself. My very first watch was an $80 Fossil watch that I got in the 8th grade. Now I have a $200 Seiko. Part of my rationale for spending no more than $200 on a watch is that I don't particularly care about watches, and part of it is because I would feel guilty spending my dad's money on something so frivolous even if he can easily afford more. He wears a $300 seiko himself, so I'd also feel pretty sheepish wearing a watch that's more expensive than my dad's watch given that he's paying for both of them. -

I prefer watches that look like that.

Someone posted a Rolex oyster perpetual deep sea watch that looks similar , IMO, although IIRC it costs anywhere from 20 to 100 times as much as the Seiko -

Anything that looks like that is fine with me. I love the sheen on that Rolex.

But, I'll likely stick with the Seiko until it gets scuffed beyond recognition (which may not happen, to be honest). And even then I'd still keep it as a memento.

My one conspicuous consumption habit is fine dining. I'm the kind of guy who will take a trip to Vegas and pay no more than $30 or $40/night on a hotel room, but I'll splurge (often) on a $1000 3 Michelin star meal, for example. Really great food excites me. Watches? Meh, not so much. My one "luxury"-related goal in life is to visit all 80 or 81 three michelin-star restaurants on earth before I die.
Appreciate 0