01-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #4
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjk_glynn View Post
There is some horological history there, particularly back in the day. A few examples:

1) Invention of the first true chronometer (by John Harrison in the 1700s)

2) Rolex was founded in London in 1905 (they later moved to Geneva in 1919)

3) George Daniels was considered by many to be the best horologist in the world during his lifetime, and was famous for creating the co-axial escapement.

Karl.

My understanding of the Rolex story differs a bit from what you've presented:
  • 1905 - Wilsdorf and Davis was founded in London.
  • 1908 -
    • The Willsdorf and Davis company sets up shop in La Chaux de Fonds and begins to sell Rolex branded watches.
    • The name Rolex was created out of thin air in Jully and registered in Switzerland.
  • 1912 - Rolex trademark registered in England.
  • 1919 -
    • Willsdorf & Davis t/a Rolex purchases a share of the Aegler company and names itself Aegler S.A. Rolex Watch Company
    • Willsdorf buys out Davis.
    • The name Montres Rolex S.A. is registered in Switzerland.
    • All production moves to Switzerland, cases in Geneva and movements in Biel.
There's no dearth of murk and ample room for error and confusion. The reason is that between 1908 and 1919, Willsdorf had all sorts of production taking place in all sorts of places. They bought cases from one company and movements from another and assembled them into watches in yet another locale.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0