03-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
covertstyle
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFX View Post
I am looking to ditch my 2010 FX35 and replace it with bit larger SUV. There just not enough trunk space in my car now for long trips with the family. I've been driving myself crazy comparing these 2 cars. One side of me wants go more reliable and tech with the Acura the other that wants the speed wants the X5. Test drove several X5 and love they way they drive. I was wanting to see what you guys thought and see if anyone is similar boat? Is the trunk space in the X5 similar to MDX with 3rd row down on both? What are we looking at with deprecation comparing the 2 for next 3 years? How about maintenance ?
I was planning on either getting a CPO or buying a aftermarket warranty if I go X5 route just to be safe.
I was in similar shoes as you about 6 months ago! Was deciding between a 2017 MDX (I preferred the new infinity grill instead of the beak Acura grill) and an F15 X5. I wasn't going to be using the 3rd row consistently, perhaps two to three times a year with relatives in town, but still wanted that as an option.

I liked how the 2017 MDX came with standard lane keep assist, collision mitigation, ACC and lane departure (whereas the 2016 is an optional feature and I'd have had to look closely to find the right optioned vehicle). As far as performance, I was surprised to learn the MDX has 0-60 time of about 6 sec. That's with a naturally aspirated V6, without turbo. The SH-AWD seems to work pretty nicely as well around corners as far as handling. That was surprising to me considering the MDX only has 290 HP and 260 torque, compared to the 300/300 in the 35i.

In the end, I wanted a fun to drive SUV that had decent performance, desirable safety features, and a 3rd row. What nixed the MDX for me was that the 2017s were out of my budget. I preferred the X5 from the very beginning anyway and ended up traveling out of state to find a fully loaded 35i with 48k miles (ACC, drivers assistance plus, luxury line, 3rd row, lighting package) at a great deal (way below fair market range) with a PPI that checked out.

My wife has a Honda and understandably, the interior of the MDX doesn't look that much different, it is a luxury Honda after all. That's not necessarily a negative, but I preferred to venture outside of what we already own. The interior of the X5 is way nicer than the MDX, since it's still using the dated dual screen infotainment system. I believe a refresh won't be coming until 2020, but that'll be an entirely different price point as opposed to buying used.

From a practicality standpoint, the MDX is way more family friendly in my opinion. The 2nd row seats fold down easily with a push of the button and can also be done from the back of the trunk. There's a bit more space in the trunk when the 3rd row is up, compared to the X5. Again, I'll hardly be using the 3rd row so it doesn't matter to me very much at all, but it is cumbersome to fold the 2nd row of seats up to gain access to the 3rd row. It's not the easiest and smoothest manual folding mechanism, so the MDX wins out from that perspective.

As far as maintenance, I've been going to a friend of a friend's Indy shop and plan to change the oil every 5k as most people on the forum recommend. Got rear ended and while insurance covered the damage, it still cost $1700 in total just to replace the bumper. Original tires were finally done 6 months after purchasing at 53k so ended up replacing the OEM Pirelli RFT with a new set and that cost about $1200 total (tires bought offline and install). The parts for the X5 are definitely pricey. My X5 isn't CPO and I didn't purchase an aftermarket warranty, but am planning to put money aside when things come up.

The driving experience in the X5 is awesome though. I look forward to driving each time I get in. Apart from the speed, I appreciate the smooth change in shifts the most, it feels effortless.

Six months in, I have no regrets going with the X5. I love it! But in the end, it's really up to you on what you prefer. We can't have absolutely everything because there's gotta be compromise somewhere. Good luck on your decision and keep us informed on what you end up getting!
Appreciate 2
Russmov1328.00
CT335xi684.00