View Single Post
      03-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #14
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Since we are discussing cost of repairs, I want to add I find overall structural integrity is a lot better on Germans cars than Japanese cars.

I've driven many Japanese cars at high speeds and they feel like the car is going to fall apart. I drove a friend's GTR at 100+ mph and I swear the car was going to disintegrate. I've driven my car 130 mph many times, solid as a bedrock. I have a Range Rover (I know it's not German) I've driven at the limiter of 155 mph, very solid. These are SUVs. The German sport cars are even more planted.

There is a reason these cars cost more to repair. Too many auto manufacturers (especially Japanese ones) will build cars to pass high on the crash tests. This results in tons of crumple zones using lightweight materials. BMWs are safe because they use higher quality materials like high strength steel which heavy. This results in overall greater structural integrity as well.

There are other factors as well that . For example, my car brakes are bigger than the ones of the highest end Escalade even though they are on similar price points and the Escalade weighs a lot more. Bigger brakes equates to higher maintenance costs.

I do have an off-topic rant though: I do find it a bit disingenuous of German manufactures who sell base models without many options though. I understand it brings in buyers and increased profit margins. Like some of you mentioned the MDX comes with many options standard whereas it costs extra on the X5. You never see a "official" review of a base model. They are always optioned a little if not fully optioned cars. Porsche is the worst; originally I considered a Cayenne GTS, but when I optioned out what I wanted it was better choice to just get a Turbo…

Last edited by alphaod; 03-17-2019 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Typo.
Appreciate 0