View Single Post
      03-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #22
mp25
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 x5

As a long time 04 MDX owner I can tell you the 2 are worlds apart. I considered the new MDX's before buying a used 50. Pricewise, new cars are out of control and the level of features compared to a 3-4 year old BMW were essentially the same. The biggest factor for me was the V8. The V6 in the MDX is no slouch but it is the perfect balance of efficiency, comfort, reliability, and performance. incremental HP changes since the late 00's but nothing close to 400+ HP and torque. It's great for the family and I have essentially the same engine already in my Odyssey. For living a little on the on ramps and warming up with that v8 growl in the morning makes that morning commute less tedious. MPG wise, it is about the same 15/16 I got on the MDX in mostly city driving. I've traded efficiency, some comfort, and potential reliability for performance and more performance.

Now reliability wise i have already planned for the sticker shock, since I can't do everything that I used tobe be able to do my myself with the the Honda/Acuras. Hell you could just about strip a honda down with a 10mm and 12mm socket. I need like 5 tools just to change the oil on a BMW. This forum is great resource, but also a money pit since the customization options for BMW's are so much more tempting once you get started!

Something that still annoys me is all the hard plastic that BMW uses. There were creaks and rubs everywhere and it took a while to find most of them and put felt tape on them. There are still a few but again a problem that I've never seen on any japanese import I've owned. Plus I miss the solid Honda thump when closing the door, and am now met with the near metal on metal clack on the BMW doors since my kids and wife never soft close the door.
Appreciate 0