View Single Post
      08-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Is there a watch brand you absolutely cannot stand? If so, why?

Only a few for me:
  • Stauer
  • Daniel Steiger
I can't stand either of them because they contract to have very inexpensive watches made with their name on it and then sell them at prices that seem like they should be good deals, but that are the farthest thing from a good deal that can be found in the whole of the watch marketplace. Even the so-called "fashion" watches aren't as bad insofar as they at least don't try to sell themselves using a value proposition argument.

Heck even the inexpensive Chinese fake makers have more integrity than do those two companies; they are at least watchmaking companies rather than pure marketing companies that sell watches among other things. As far as I know, Stauer and DS don't make a damn thing that has their name on it.

Example re: Stauer:
In 2013, Stauer had this watch offered on their website.

It's a lovely watch and it's made by a credible and good, American watch company, Towson Watch Company.

Stauer did not have their name on the dial. Stauer was charging $5K for the watch. At the same time, TWC was offering the watch for $3K. (It's $3.85K now) Stauer removed the watch from their website (TOWSON PRIDE II (BLACK) WRIST WATCH 21307 | Stauer.com) after I wrote a review of the watch and pointed out that it was available for $2K less from the maker.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0