09-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #61
Fknid
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomzara View Post
In Turtlekid95's thread some mention LSPI/detonation. This is not correct IMO.

1. Getting detonation/LSPI on high-forced aluminium engines like N55/N20/N63 kills them in a minute. Have an example with a friend of mine that got a piston totally cracked after just one ride on bad gasoline in combination with custom-tuned N20..
I don’t think this is correct. I’m sure there is varying degrees - LSPI will not always blow up engine immediately. LSPI is not always detonation, it just represents ignition before the spark.

My issue was certainly LSPI, because it’s gone now after changing to a different oil. This is something to try, mainly because it costs very little in comparison to changing parts. The N63TU burns oil more than other engines, so for this engine the oil would(could) have a great effect on ignition conditions.

I was able to change between Comfort mode and Sport mode and at the same revs under load, the noise would be apparent in Comfort and not Sport. I could easily hear it in the cabin and the engine would have limited power until revs were above 1800 rpm. I took this to mean that the efficiency is being pushed a little too far in Comfort mode, and the conditions produced in the cylinders was enabling pre-ignition.
Appreciate 0