02-22-2022, 07:32 AM   #4
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
It annoys me to no small extent when car reviewers get the basics wrong 😞 There is no such a thing as “plant-based leather-like” material in the iX. The test car clearly has the Amido interior which is plain old vernasca leather that in this case uses olive leaf extract in the tanning process. I mean come on! At least get the basics right… Another reviewer even went as far as calling it vegan leather in their review! I mean come on!
Yeah, the version they have is one of the two 'actual' leather trims - they're just processed in as eco-friendly a way as possible. The other trims are all 'faux' though, as far as I can tell, which some people would call 'vegan' leather.

Castanea and Amido trims (the deep red and black 'top' level trims) are natural (real) leather but processed using "olive leaf extracts which would otherwise have been discarded" so as to be more 'eco'. I'd argue, it's so that the could put an olive leaf on the dashboard so that people would erroneously think the 'leaf' meant it was vegan friendly.

Interior Design Atelier trims are 'synthetic' leather. So they *are* 'vegan leather' if you want to call them that. Sometimes called 'SensaTec'.

The Interior Design Loft trim is also faux. It's more half fabric, half faux-suede. So it's 'synthetic' suede leather.
Appreciate 0