Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prei1978 View Post
I've been keenly waiting for a proper luxury EV that is built by people that knows how to put cars together. Never really wanted to pay $150,000 on a car and have the rear door misaligned with the window behind it by nearly an inch.

That said, I'm still having reservations about EVs in general, especially for the main family car like this, and it comes down to range. Take for example a trip I have planned for April where I'll drive about 3500 miles over 2 weeks, and lets imagine that my B58 G23 M440i can do an average of 250 miles per tankful of gas (conservative) and an i4 M50 equivalent could do 250 miles per charge (optimistic). That would be 14 fuel stops on the M440i for a total of about 2:40 hr, but 112 hours charging (8 hours per full charge) for the EV. It makes it that much harder to plan, especially because the first leg of the trip is from MA to SC for just under 1000 miles, and while I can plan to do it in a single day in a gas-powered car with 4-5 fuel stops, when I add the charging times for the EV I would most likely need 3 days.

Right now I'm torn between buying an X7 with a B58 for its tried and tested technology and reliability, or the iX for its innovative technology and supreme luxury and quality, but can't quite make up my mind.
Lease X7, wait three years, then buy electric
Indeed. Wait 3 years until solid state batteries are available.
Appreciate 0