View Single Post
      07-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #35
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

It's astounding to me that there's a whole cadre of folks hemming and hawing about Tag, but at least one very noteworthy brand, JLC, is also not on my list. Another notable omission is Piaget. Yet, I haven't seen one devotee of either of those brands make a fuss over it. Fans of Franck Muller didn't fuss over my misspelling the brand's name either. Why might that be? I suggest that it's because neither those folks, nor the watch brands, need validation from a list on B-post. They know the watch they favor is among the finest in the world and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it. Ditto Oris, which fittingly enough has a connection with BMW.

In short, there are plenty of watches that actually deserve to be championed, particularly those from some generally unknown independent watch makers, to say nothing of the greats like JLC, Piaget, Glashutte, and others. I don't mind that folks are singing Tag's praises, deserved or not (it's not really my place or desire to say), what I do mind is them telling me there's something wrong with my list because Tag's not on it. The ones there are the ones I was curious about.

The reason for my curiosity was to find out what young people -- and most folks that participate on B-post are young to me -- think about the watches I listed. My kids are all approaching a graduation of one sort or other and as this forum is my sole "contact" with a large number of younger folks (18-25 year olds), I wanted to see what such folks thought of the brands I listed for a couple of them are brands I'm considering as graduation gifts.

Tag isn't one I'm going to buy, regardless of what folks thought. My daughter already has said she wants a Reverso, so that's likely what she'll get (not it gold, but it'll still be a Reverso). I don't care what folks think about the Reverso; I approve of her choice and I like that watch too, so much so that I may buy one for myself also. My middle child will finish a year behind my daughter and it was mostly for his benefit that I created the list.

Thanks all for your contributions apologies for not stating my intention at the outset. I really just wanted the votes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0