View Single Post
      03-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #138
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
Wrong. They are not the same and if you worked in pharma you would know this 100%. Their adverse event profile aren't even the same

I too worked for a pharma company (a little $56B company called Pfizer) before moving into Medical device. The only thing a generic pharmaceutical company needs to guarantee is the active ingredient is the same. Everything else: stabilizers, drug delivery, and mechanism of action, metabolism are not regulated.

Your argument as to why you would buy it is not the point of the argument or the thread. Based on your posts, you would buy a BMW M3 regardless whether it was made by BMW or someone else who has no regard for trademarks or patents that essentially is telling you it's the same

Like I said, we have nothing to argue.
Yeah strictly speaking this is correct. Actually I think both of you are correct. Z K is correct in that the chemical composition of the active ingredient is often 100% identical, but there may be (and often are) subtle differences in both the composition and quality of any adjuvants.

Pharmaceutical companies are highly regulated by the FDA and for good reason. Even subtle differences in the manufacturing process can lead to disastrous side effects for the patient, and so a lot of the cost of drugs goes into "over-engineering" (for lack of a better term) the final product. Purification, for example, is not a trivial process. A lot of people probably take it for granted but that's one area (among many) where the process can be "over-engineered" in the pursuit of higher selectivity.
Appreciate 0