View Single Post
      03-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #148
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
I don't want to get too far off topic but since when are generic drug manufacturers become "highly regulated"? Compared to what?

Generic manufacturers are immune to liability because it's assumed it's the same as the branded counterpart when it's not.

The only reason generic sales continue to be relevant is because of health insurance and formularies. Formulary or not, I only buy branded drugs and my scripts are DAW branded for my own health and well-being. Generic drugs are not the same thing and there is plenty of objective research done to prove it.
"All generic drugs approved by FDA have the same high quality, strength, purity and stability as brand-name drugs. And, the generic manufacturing, packaging, and testing sites must pass the same quality standards as those of brand name." Quoted from the FDA web site. I've seen a lot of generic products never make it to market and approvals get yanked.

Of course generics are needed. The costs are much less than the branded drugs. Customers save money in getting the same products. And in the case of "authorized generics", they are even made by the same companies who make the branded product and is essentially the same product!